A Prayer for Personal Peace


“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” —John 14:27
Keep in mind the context of Jesus’ promise. He had just told His disciples that He was about to go away, leaving them on this earth while He returned to “His Father.” The disciples felt devastated and confused. After all, as long as Jesus was with them, He would take care of every situation as it developed: He could quiet storms, provide instant food for multitudes, forgive sins and heal the sick with a word from His mouth.
Now He was leaving them.
Jesus assured them that He would not leave them alone but that the Comforter (the Holy Spirit) would take His place. And, despite the loss, they would receive His peace.
Please notice that this peace is a gift. Because it is a gift it isn’t tied to circumstances. It is a gift that is inserted in the midst of our circumstances. No matter how bad things may be, Jesus can give us the gift of His peace. It is an unearned gift.
This is a supernatural gift, given by the only One qualified to give it.
Jesus knows your past history. He knows what you’re going through, and He also knows what your tomorrow holds. He knows all of the contingencies, all of the possibilities; He sees your coming promotions and demotions. He already knows when and where you will die and what will be said at your funeral! He can bring peace to us no matter where we are along the continuum of life.

Let Us Pray

Father, I begin praying for myself that You might give me the gift of peace. Father, help me to not surrender to the thieves of anger, guilt, anxiety, and depression that want to steal this gift from me. I confess any sins that would cause the cup of peace to spring a leak.
And now I pray for _____ asking that You might give them peace. I pray against all the forces arrayed against them that would steal peace from their heart also. I pray that anger and strife might cease in their heart. Help them to receive the power of the Holy Spirit who is the means by which this peace is brought to us.
Help us to receive the Spirit’s power by faith, thanking you in advance that we shall receive peace today.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Share this article :
 

Post a Comment

Comment here to say you idea but do not comment if you are not a part of this website.

 
Copyright © 2011. Sisters In Christ | Women's Fellowship - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Sisters in Christ